Monday, February 18, 2013

Student life

It is a huge change for me ..usually I am the lecturer and giving advice or guidance to students doing their final year projects ..but now the table is turned..I am on the other side of that table now ...it is a bit weird ...and now, I am on my 3rd week as postgraduate student here in Wellington ...so many changes ..so many things I have to learn ..and life as I know it is basically gone ....

gone were the days where I go to work, and had lunches at Pinang Bistro with my friends ..gone were the days where I just work and then come back home to yummy home cook meals ...gone were the days that I spend time with the kiddos ...it is now such a lonely existence ...I study ...go to my office ....go to the library ...discuss with my sv ..go back to my flat ...and looking forward to video talk with my family ...and at the back of my mind - I want to finish early (well, who doesnt?) so that I can be home soon ....

well there is a saying that says "If life give you lemons, make lemonade.." ...so, I am making a promise to myself that I will enjoy my NZ experience ...whilst at the same time study like mad (afterall, this is the main reason I am here...)..i am not focusing all 24 hours of my day 7 days a week on my study ...I want to know more about Wellington - its tourist attractions ..its best kebab shops ..or best fish and chip places ...just to name a few ....i did that last weekend - exploring the city on my own ....next weekend, I will go to different place ....and the weekend after that .....i dont want to be holed up in my office or my flat ...I want some me time ....

view from VUW

I was given an office space - sharing with 3 guys ...I dont really like my office coz at first glance, they are not so friendly ...but my sv persuaded me to try the room when i told him that i prefer to do my work either in the library or my own flat ...my sv said, it should try the office (even though he know that I was hinting for a change of space) ..and I did give it a try ...and a week on, I find that I can work well in the office ...there is no noise as everyone is busy with their own thing ...but now the guys are talking to me, so I dont feel like I am an outsider anymore ...plus, I got to know where things are - like the pantry, the toilet (hahaha this is important!), the vending machine and so on ...it starts to feel familiar ...

I suppose what I am trying to say is that, I miss my "old routines" and I have become very complacent and comfortable in that environment ...but coming here and becoming a student is a new challenge for me ...I cant be complacent anymore ...been struggling hard to fight the black dragon in order to come here, so I know I have to work hard ...but, i am a postive person...will be working smart instead and spend some time for myself ....so if life gives you lemons, make lemonade people ....and that will mke us enjoy our life ..and be stress-free :-)

3 comments:

fendifid said...

Time flies...so dont worry. Before you notice, you will miss Wellington nanti.

Ejin said...

true ..i just have to "go with the flow" like Ita's famous saying :-)

Liz Duan said...

Sekejap aje lah...betul sungguh go with d flow