Saturday, February 9, 2013

Week 1 in Wellington

I am in Wellington now ...finally! I have been here for over a week, and during that time have already met my SV twice :-) but as i said in my shared blog with my friends, so far so good ..and I am hoping things will go smoothly for me....

Anyway, left Kuching on Monday, 29th Jan for a morning flight to Singapore, and after an 8 hour transit in Singapore, I left for Sydney using a British Airways flight ..the long 8 hour journey was comfy as I was given a business class seat (woot woot!!!) and managed to sleep for almost 7 hours! Arrived early morning to a wet and cold Sydney, and after a two and half hour transit, got into the connecting flight to Wellinton. A flight that took about 3 hours landed on a hot sunny Wellington at 2.30 pm Welly time ...and by then I was so tired I could barely think straight ...it was about 28 hours since my flight left Kuching ..and the journey was long and dragging!

I had requested for a pick-up at the airport before that, so I was not worried about how to get to my flat ....so, to see this lass holding a placard with my name on it was a great relief ....and an hour later I was sent to my flat at Wai-te-ata ...found out i am sharing a flat with an Iranian PhD student and n Indonesian Master students ...both are nice and welcoming ...when Maryam knew I had just arrived after a long journey, she even made me some tea ..and gave me a plate of fruits! How nice of her  ..and she is the one in the room opposite me :-) ..then Anita came home from her class ..and she cooked extra noodles for me ..coz she said  should eat something and not bothered about going out to find food that day ..as I was so tired ..so, after a quick dinner with Anita, I slept like a log and woke up late the next day ....

Now it has been over a week ...Anita has taken me shopping for groceries at Pak & Save at Kilbirnie ...had shown me Asian Market behind Pak & Save ...and how to use the bus  ..and Maryam had taken me to Sunday Market at Willis Street ..and the New World Supermarket nearby ...I explored the uni and the surrounding a couple of times ...and so far everything is ok ...so, this is going to be my home for the next 3 years ...

leaving them was hard ...and they miss me too apparently ..and Thank God for skype, viber and Talk!

 on a nice sunny day

 did I mention that Wellington is such a hilly area?

but with awesome view of the sea and the harbour :-)


5 comments:

fendifid said...

you have a lovely home for the next 3 years. can't wait for a reunion in Wellington...let's make it happennnn. jeng jeng jeng.

Ejin said...

not when I am at uni accommodation ...i cannot sardinkan semua as it is a female only apartment hahaha

fendifid said...

Masa kami datang nko kena cari apartment seminggu sumbat b*rbarians sumer. Kat apartment tu. Lol.

Liz Duan said...

Yelah good to know u are settling well...blh ke reunion nzkopak akak

Ejin said...

yup, am settling well kat sini ...ada jugak lah nangis2 esp biler dah skype and talk with Al and Adik ...but dah kurang, bak kata my friend - hati kena cekal :-)