Monday, August 11, 2008

Thank God the Conference is over!

I was at a conference last week, and it was a really hectic week. As part of the Organising Committee we were constantly reminded to always smile and not answer a question with "Sorry, I don't know..." Throughout the conference, I had my "plastic" smile ready and (hopefully) with a friendly look ...i felt that i qualified to work as air stewardess after that! Good morning sir, madam, prof, doc ....can i help you? yea...i'll show you to your seat ...or, i'll be back in a moment and get the booklet for you ....no, sir you cannot present your paper today because your were supposed to present yours yesterday ...hahahaha ...a bit hard to maintain a perfect (albeit fake!) smile when you are facing funny and silly requests most of the times. Yeah, it is an international conference and the participants also have different requests - although most of them are really sweet and endearing, but there are a whole lot who are just plain demanding, bossy and with an attitude to match! Granted that they are the leaders in their own professions, but still, a little bit of politeness can go a long way!

I also had the chance to catch up with old friends at the Conference - Asmah flew all the way from Melbourne to present her paper, and Wan the jejaka few from KL for the same purpose. Sadly, the new mummy couldn't make it - we miss her!!! Plus there were other people whom I have met in previous conference in Samarinda as well as previous colleagues. All in all, it was a great conference - my paper was presented on Wed 6th August - with lively discussion afterwards, initiated by the Dean himself! I was so nervous before that but thank god, things went on smoothly ...though, on hindsight, I should be more prepared!

4 comments:

hh78 said...

New mummy was stuck with her baby in Miri. If new mummy went to Kuching, old mummy (my mom ler..) will have a hard time taking care of the new granddaughter alone! New mummy doesn't think new baby will fancy Susu-O! Hehe. Glad u had fun. Catch up with u later.

Ejin said...

Yeah, glad to hear you are coming back soon. Me and the other moi are sooooooo looking forward to meeting Iris.

Talking of Conference, the next MSC is in Penang in 2010...wan, asmah, moi and i plan to go ...and so should you! Unless you are pregnant with your 2nd or 3rd child by then (possible right????) hahahaha

fendifid said...

Now I know why misha wants to become a stewardess. She wants to fulfill her mama ejin's secret ambition. I think misha will meet the height criteria (need to close the overhead compartment)..he he he

Ejin said...

emmmm height criteria??? what are you talking about - I am tall, I am only short if I stand next to another person...heheheheh