Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Life as I see it ...

Sometimes, it is our nature to take things for granted. We just ignored what we have...we don't appreciate what we already have, the opportunities that were given to us... and we often wish we have more of this, more of that ...bigger house, bigger car, bigger paycheck, less workload, less stress, less criticisms...the list can be endless sometimes...

but once in a while, it is good to stop and take stock on our own life. I saw this one guy during my last field trip. He is a few years younger than me...and from what I can see (maybe I am being judgmental here) his life has been wasted or limited in a way ...in and out of rehabs ...doing chores just to get by ...and I feel really sad when I look at his life - something inside me just clicked and I was reminded about how lucky I am... I have a good job, a good pay, i have opportunities to improve my life, I have love and supports from my family and close friends - and yet, there were times when I just felt life was unfair...that life was being unkind towards me....and always have the "why me??" questions ...

Now, looking back, I know I am privileged ...i was given opportunities ...when one door closed and life seemed to be against me, a new door opens up ...and for that I am thankful ...the only way to appreciate it is to live life to the fullest ...we may encounter obstacles along the way, we may feel restricted, we may be judged by others - one thing for sure, we have the power to determine our own paths ... we determine our own destiny ...don't look back, but it would be nice to stop sometime, and smell the roses ...and to appreciate what we already have ...before it is gone...

2 comments:

fendifid said...

Let’s enjoy every bit of our lives today without reminiscence our yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow, we will outshine along our journey to reach the end of the rainbow.

Ejin said...

yes...and i love these quotes:

"The vast possibilities of our great future will become realities only if we make ourselves responsible for that future." (Gifford Pinchot)

"When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened." (John M. Richardson, Jr)