Thursday, December 31, 2009

Fruity Christmas Cake Recipe

My dad requested for a fruit cake - when I asked him to choose between Kek Gula Hangus or Kek Kukus Nakhoda ...it was not even in my list! Anway, my mum already knew what dad wants so she already told me in advance that he is likely to request for that fruity Christmas cake ...this is a must-have cake in our family during festivals like Gawai and Christmas..

So, being a good daughter that I am, I baked him the fruit cake ...In fact, I had an assistant that day - in the form of my curious, and adventure-seeking little nephew, Alistair. Al and I baked the cake on Christmas Eve ...originally planned to do the baking in the morning but one thing led to another ...and so on ...so we started baking the cake at 6pm!

The ingredients are as follow: 5 eggs (separate the yolks and egg whites), 1 cup of sugar, 4 cups of flour,  1 can of condensed milk, 12oz butter and a box of mixed (dried) fruits ...still unsure, refer the picture below.


The steps are: (1) mixed egg yolks with sugar & butter till creamy; (2) add milk, (3) add in the egg whites, which has been lightly beaten (4) mix in the flour, and (5) add in the dried mixed fruits.


When all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed, pour into a greased baking tin - steam for 4-5 hours.


And, introducing my assistant ..Little Chef Alistair ...


and this is the page from mum's recipe book! with mum's own handwriting ...neat huh?


When I am writing this posting that I realised that I did not take any pictures when the cake was being steamed or when I took it off the steamer!! Probably because I was dead tired then ...the steaming process stopped at 11.30 pm ...i was already half asleep then!

4 comments:

fendifid said...

It must be very sweet. Dah ada gula...ada condence milk lagi...the dried fruit pun manis jugak. My late father pun suka fruit cake...tapi beli punya la.

Ejin said...

mmg manis and sticky! Itu pun aku minus kan the topping - selalu kan Christmas Cake ada topping/ frosting on top ....my dad mmg sweet tooth!

Liz Duan said...

rajin dik senon ni yeeee

Ejin said...

aku mmg rajin buat cakes ..dulu lagi lah ..sanggup buat kek lapis Sarawak sampai 4-5 biji utk festival ..now, one is enough! hehehehe ...bakat terpendam