Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day ...

 (old pic: taken in 1994)

Today is Mother's Day ...a day dedicated to all mothers out there ...as for myself, these are/were some of the wonderful mothers, grandmothers in my life ...

(during our holiday in Scotland, summer of 2002)

my own mum ...always a very important figure in my life ...she is there for me, and for my siblings ..through good and bad times ...always there to feed us, to look after us, to scold us, to encourage us to strive for the best ..she still does! A confession: my mum still makes breakfast and coffee for me everyday ...and ensure that dinner is ready by the time i get home ....but most touching of all, mum was there with me to pick up the pieces, mum was there when I cried ...mum was there to console me ...she encourages me...and Mum, i love you! and to think, we all nearly lost you 20 years ago ...so happy you are ok, and really hope you will always be healthy, happy and  be as you are ....


and then, there were my two grandmothers ...both of them are no longer with us ..but i (and I am sure, the same goes to my brother and sister) still treasure my memories of them ...my maternal grandmother (above) was fun-loving ..always danced (joget!) during parties and festivals, she was the best cook ever!, loved travelling ...but sadly, she passed away before any of us can pamper her, can treat her or take her travelling! She died 10 years ago last Feb ...


my paternal grandmother (above) was more serious ...very strict with us ...but she was very business minded...hardworking as hell ..when my granddad died, she still continued doing farm works at her cocoa and paper plantation ...and refused to stay with us ...a very strong-willed woman, and i really really miss her ...i was in the UK when she died, so I guess I dont have the closure ...


another important lady in my life was my great grandmother ...my mum's grandmother ....she died when I was in Form 3 at the age of 90 something...but she was a very significant figure in my early childhood ...she took care of us when mum was still working! and she was blind at the time ...she goes blind in 1974, after her husband passed away ...people says it was due to her non-stop crying etc ...who know the real reason ...i always remembered her stories ...she always told us bedtime stories ...and entertained us ...she was a very kind hearted lady, always willing to help others ...

I love them all ....I wish I can be strong like them ...and if I can be a third of what they are, I am happy ...

and I also know friends who are great mothers ...who would do anything for their kids ...sacrificing their time, sacrificing themselves ...just so that their kids and families are happy, well taken care of ..and have  bright future ..to all of you: Jane (we'll celebrate together next year!), Liz, Fida, Eat, Haslina, Elena, Reen, Mama Rose, Aunty Lynne ......

Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

fendifid said...

Good entry...gigih cari gambar lama. My grandmother passed away after gave birth to my mom...so tak pernah tahu camne perasaan ada nenek. hu hu hu.

Ejin said...

oooo gitu... both nenek aku best, sebab aku kan cucu sulung from both sides, mmg dimanjakan ...segala apa aku nak dituruti ...i missed them!!!

Liz Duan said...

touching lah posting ni...thanks for the wish..miss my atok mak!