Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Gawai's preparation - what shall I bake???

Gawai is just round the corner (1st June) and my mum has been saying that I should bake at least one cake this year. She wants home made cake like what we normally have during Gawai/ christmases - when i was still in secondary school and loved to try out new cake recipes! It has been a long time since i bake a cake! Anyway, dad insisted on his favourite steamed fruit cake, but mum wants a Kek Lapis (either Kek Lapis Prune or Kek Lapis Masam Manis), and I would prefer to bake something very simple and straightforward! In other words, baking that involves minimal ingredients and the one that doesn't require me to do layering (which is a tedious and time-consuming job!) So, I would prefer to make Kek Nakhoda instead...the type that i "dump" into the baking tray after mixing, steam for 4 hours ...and "waaallllaaaaa it's done" type of cake. The decision is not final - and since I haven't decided on which one to bake, I haven't bought any ingredients yet!

But one thing for sure, I will not wait till the 11th hour to bake the cake or to buy the ingredients. Last Gawai, I decided to bake the cake the night before Gawai - and went to shop for ingredients after dinner on Gawai Eve! And the shops in 10th Miles were closing when I arrived...plus most shops that i went into ran out of horlicks - the main ingredients for my cake recipe at the time! It should teach me not to buy things last minute hehehehe ....


Today, I bought this! Only RM18 for 120 of these cute biscuits ...tastes good as well (I know coz me and my friends already tasted a few!). Bought it at the KEMAS stalls here at the uni ...the KEMAS people are organising "Hari Tadika" for the whole of Sarawak and chose this uni as their venue ...so, that's one biscuits that i'll be serving this Gawai ...hehehehe ...

6 comments:

munua said...

Hahaha...it's tough to be a girl huh? You're expected to do all those things..., Thanks God I'm a dude, heheheheeeee

Liz Duan said...

nak se........org sini cakap satu as "se".....nak ajaq hang sikit of pahang....aku buat cake ade lah sekali dua...malas lah....

Ejin said...

Don: I am sure your wife would expect you to do your bit this Gawai ..like potong ayam ke??? or cuci rumah ke??? kan kan kan ...

Ejin said...

Liz, if i bake nanti, i let you know how it goes ..lama i dah tak buat kek sendiri

Cheesy Hum said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
fendifid said...

cookies tu looks like biskut sugee. ye ke?