Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Childhood Memory: Going to the dentist

Jane was having a bad day coz of her toothache recently ...she had no qualms about visiting the dentist to get the problem sorted ...i was like .."what???!!! you voluntarily going to the dentists?" ....the reason for my response was that, unlike her, I was terrified of going to the dentists or doctors ...yup, that is me ...a 30-something, career lady who just too afraid to get her teeth checked ....the fear of the needles is just too much ...people close to me know that I would rather enduring the pain, than going to hospitals or dentists ...

why oooo why??? I mean, I know it is ridiculous ...i know that you must get your teeth checked every so often ...i know that, but the fears refuse to go way ....

thinking back, i remembered that in my primary school days, we were given appointments to see the dentists during the school holiday ..it was a compulsory thing at my school at the time! I still remembered our dental nurse ..a Chinese lady (quite pretty) by the name of Elizabeth (same as my sister's name, that's why I remembered her!) who looks really fierce ..especially to those who cried when she checked out our teeth ...i hated those times when I had to go for my appointment coz she looked so fierce ...and very impatient with scared children ...perhaps that started my phobia of dentist???

I remembered one time I ran away from her room before she can get me to sit on the dreaded dental chair ...she scolded me and pulled me inside the room ...since then I was terrified of her ...but I cannot run away from her and her evil dental tools ..i tried to hide my appointment book once, but she called my dad to ask why I did not come for my check up ..i ended up being scolded by my parents ....

so, yes - I guess she could be one of the triggers of my dental-phobia ....even now, we had allowance for dental treatment - I have not use that allowance for a few years now...I make sure I brush my teeth ...follow dental hygiene properly ...so that i can avoid the dentist chair ....and now, I also make sure Al brushes his teeth regularly ....hehehe I hope I can spare him the "torture" of going to the dentist ....
Al's fav toothpaste is the one with strawberry flavours - picture from Mr Google

3 comments:

Liz Duan said...

scary dentist kau tu...dentist ni pun kenalah be kind to kids kan? gitu gaya mmg lah org lari especially kids...aku ok aje ....my boys...afi lah...belum apa apa dah meleleh....walhal dentist tu punya lah baik nya...

Ejin said...

yes - dia memang garang tahap mak tiri, but a good friend ngan my uncle (kerja kat hosp) ...aku takut kat dia LOL ...i remembered one time yang i had to berpaut kat pintu kelas sebab tak nak gi dentist tu LOL ...my classmates reminded me what a crybaby I was when it comes to suntikan, or dental appointment :-)

fendifid said...

ngilu and sakit, sebab tu orang seriau nak gi dentist.