Saturday, September 29, 2012

Asthma - symptoms and precaution

It is that time of the year again, when the haze phenomenon is back to haunt us ..everywhere you look is hazy ..with this lingering white-ish cloud hovering at the background ...blocking your view ...you could barely see the blue sky ...but not only that, the haze is not a good news to asthma sufferer ...and I am speaking from  the point of view of an asthma sufferers ....

since my attack 2 weeks ago, I was advised to my doctor to be extra careful as the haze season is back ...and coz of the seriousness of the last attack, I am (I hope) more careful now ....and i was given lots of things to read about asthma ...I guess the Doctor is fed-up with my couldn't-care-less attitude all these while...she even commented that I don't seem to take it seriously ..and said hope these phamplets will open your eyes to the fact the asthma is a chronic disease and it can get worst if uncontrolled ...and then Liz told me of a passing of an aquaintance's son who died of asthma a few weeks ago ....so kecut perut akak now ok ...and I think hard about it ....and did what I do best ...look for extra information regarding asthma ....

Most of the readings indicate that one should control one's asthma ...it should not be left unchecked (like I did before) ..so, i found lots of medical related website on asthma and learn new things .....but most importantly, I think now I know the signs when it is about to attack ...


Signs and symptoms (from this website)

• Coughing, sneezing, itchy throat
• Tight chest, wheeze
• Shortness of breath
• Wake up at night
• Fast heartbeat and breathing
• Headache


Being in this hazy condition is certainly detrimental to my health ...can feel the itchy throat, shortness of breath and feeling really tired despite not doing anything much ...even walking from my entrance to my car (less than 100m) is tiring ...and going up the stairs in the house is also tiring for me ....so i am taking extra precaution by keeping my inhaler ready and with me all the time ....

I was also advised to avoid things that can trigger asthma ....I have remove nearly all of the carpets in my house (when adik has asthma 2 years ago) ...there is only one carpert in my hose now - the one in the living room ...I seldom use that area, unless we have guests ...and we also have a helper coming in once a week to clean and clear the dust and what not ....now I read that, the type of detergent used for washing clothes and bed linen may also act as trigger due to its content ...I have never heard about that before and I will read more on this ....and another thing is to avoid the outdoor when there is haze, pollen season etc etc ....

i am hoping that I dont have to see the doctor too frequently about this ...i am hoping that I would be able to control my asthma and prevent it from getting worst ....my first asthma attack was in 2006 when I was on a field work to Baram area ....that was mainly due to over exertion and lack of rest ...but then I only ever saw the doctor like 2-3 times a year for neb ....nowadays the rate has gone up ...it is more like 4-5 times a year ...but the doctor say it is still manageable as I only had this attack when I am overly stressed and do not have enough rest ...or when the weather is bad ..either too hot or too cold ......so masih ada harapan bagiku

5 comments:

fendifid said...

rest rest rest and cut down coffee and ice drink.

try probiotik..and hati unta.

Ejin said...

hati unta? ngko nie biar betol ..aku tak makan semua organ dalaman haiwan tau ...geli hehehehe

Liz Duan said...

take care ejin...jgn take it lightly...kena cepat..and jgn lah dok berendam swimmg pool ke mende...and of course no ice...amik suam aje

Ayu said...

Hi Gina, baru jenguk rumah you. I takde asthma tp sensitif habuk. Carpet marpet ni mmg big culprit lah. In my rented house 1 rumah carpeted, nak remove pun xboleh. Jenuhlah kena vacuum everyday kalau tidak mula bersin macam boleh tanggal hidung. Anyway, take care!! :)

Ejin said...

Hi Ayu ...carpet is the culprit lah. You take care of yourself k. Cannot wait nak tengok baby versi London nie :-)